To be honest, I only titled the post this way because I didn’t want to worry you. If you love me and want me to be happy, you’ll listen to this very big problem.
Gossip Girl.
I have a Gossip Girl problem (as in addiction. Yeah. Taking it one day at a time, but I am getting weak.) and the fact that they don’t air new episodes year round is an even bigger problem.
In a brief period of relapse earlier this month, I watched NYC Prep, Bravo’s feeble attempt at a reality spin-off. Let me be the first to tell you: this is not an acceptable replacement. I know, you’re probably shocked to read this here. I am shocked myself to be admitting it in this public forum. I was really counting on this reality snack to tide me over till Chuck Bass returns in all his preppy, brooding glory. But alas, my thirst remains un-slaked.
NYC Prep is a show about teenagers that are, in Dan Humphrey’s words, “over-privileged, oversexed and under-supervised” or something. Bravo’s none-too-veiled copy of Josh Schwartz’s masterpiece even includes a less-fortunate student who goes to, *gasp*, public school.
I know, I know.
The problem with NYC Prep, in my opinion, is that it shows me just how “mind-blowingly inappropriate” Gossip Girl is, which is something I don’t want to be reminded of. I watch Serena, Blair, Nate, Chuck, Dan and Jenny deal with situations and make choices that are far beyond their maturity levels. Things that I was completely oblivious to when I was in high school. But on Gossip Girl, they aren’t teenagers to me. They’re my peers. My New York City-dwelling, fabulously wealthy, non-religious, alcoholic peers. Also, they’re freaking FAKE. TV characters, even.
I know, I know.
But on NYC Prep, they’re real, yo. Real minors. They have parents. They have acne. And it makes me feel funny. Could it be that I’m growing tired of reality TV? With the exception of Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D List and Millionaire Matchmaker, I think I might be. And you know that if any network could loop me into a reality TV series, it would be Bravo. You know that. I say I’m over reality TV now, but really when Gossip Girl returns, we’ll see how my tune changes.
Which brings me to my next question: WHEN IS IT BACK? Please tell me so I can add a countdown on my blog sidebar.
1 comment:
SEPTEMBER 15!!!
So without cable, I haven't been able to watch NYC Prep... but I can tell you one thing I've noticed on all the rich people reality shows... and working retail in rich areas.... being rich is wasted on ugly people... with the exception of celebrities... who are rich because they're beautiful.
Post a Comment