I read this post today in the Salt Lake Trib and it about brought a tear to my eye.
You'll notice hollylynnsays was the first commenter. I am such a NERD sometimes!
The article, which you really should read even though I know you probably won't, is about how we all have these specific sacred places that are related to a life-changing memory.
Some of mine:
Rolling into Rexburg on a rare visit. Just the site of that little town off to the right of the highway makes me think of the girl I was when I first arrived, the girl I was when I finally left, and the girl I am now.
Wearing the cardigan I wore today. So true, this isn't a place, but I wore it on my first date with my husband and that is such a sweet memory.
The old building in my hometown where I taught piano lessons. It was the first time I really felt ownership of a project that had real world impact. I really loved those kids. I hope I taught them something.
Seeing the Draper Temple up on the hill when I'm in that neck of the woods (a sacred place for many, I realize), "my" temple, remembering sitting inside, talking to my mom, waiting for the biggest thing I'd ever done.
What are your personal sacred places?
2 comments:
Wow.
1. The huge tree in my backyard when I was young that had a perfectly shaped branch for sitting and thinking up near the top.
2. My upstairs childhood bedroom where I spent a night on my knees, talking with my Maker.
3. A little house in Atikokan, Ontario where I struggled to figure out how to get some of the most bitter members of the LDS church I'd ever met to cooperate. This was also the house where I felt like the words of my prayers were not only heard but listened to with perfect attention.
4. The picnic table where I first told my future wife I loved her.
5. The hospital room where I saw my baby for the first time.
I hope you don't mind, but I'm using this on my blog.
Thanks so much for sharing this today, Holly.
Post a Comment