Let's get this out of the way right now: there are plenty of things that I find tacky.
I won't get into them now at the risk of being tacky (ha) but by now it's pretty obvious I have some pretty major opinions about pretty minor things. (pictures hung too high, socks with sandals, ivy used in any indoor capacity whatsoever...ok, so I will get into it just a little)
In my perusing of decor/design blogs, of which I have done plenty in recent times, it's come to my attention that some designers consider two of my favorite things to be tacky:
1. Hanging pictures of your own family in your house
2. Using area rugs on carpet
Now for the first one, I'd definitely say the "moderation in all things" rule applies, but to me, your home is personal! Shouldn't you fill it with things that you love, including pictures of the faces you love?
And the area rug thing...I say a big room is always better with a rug, no matter the flooring. Please observe my super-budget bachelorette pad:
While not exactly the picture of sophistication, I thought it was a cute room and before I put down the rug, it looked sooo lonely in there.
So what do you think? Are family pictures and rugs on carpet taboo at your house?
4 comments:
i don't think either of those things are tacky, but like you said, all things in moderation. bear in mind this is coming from someone who has yet to replace the ceiling fans and gold hardware throughout my home.
I violate both of those rules repeatedly. The rug thing is mostly out of necessity, but I wouldn't label it "tacky". Everything else in my house, possibly very tacky...
If I could find an area rug that I liked for cheap, I would put one in my living room, but I seem to have expensive taste when it comes to area rugs... someday.
As for pictures, you made me realize that I have quite a few in my living room... but I'm picky about which pictures and the frames that they're in. I'm probably breaking rules left and right over here, though :)
Oops! That was Kathleen... not Steve!
Post a Comment